Thursday, March 02, 2006

"Conceived Through an act of Violence"

According to a recently released report from The Parent's Television Council, programming for kids is filled with violence, and, "disrectful, aggressive behaviors."

Also according to the group, "programming for kids" includes The Cartoon Network's offerings. Have YOU watched The Cartoon Network? The word "cartoon" may be in the channel's title, but a kiddie channel it ain't. Sure, I'd let Connor watch it when he's a little older (and if we somehow figured out how to get cable on a rabbit-ear TV), but he's already seen a mob hit on The Sopranos, so he's already pretty desensitized to the whole "violence" thing anyway.

What struck me most about the study, which I read about on CNN.com, was the following sentence: "The report also criticized the networks for airing children's programs with questionable language, such as "stupid," "loser" and "butt," as well as sexual innuendo, insults, bullying and putdowns."

I can't even count the number of times I've used "stupid," "loser" and "butt" in the same sentence, but I don't feel like an excessively violent person. Sure, there are large hand-shaped buises on Connor's butt (dammit, there I go again...oops, I mean dammit...I mean...) but he should have known better than to cry in public. I'll give him something to cry about.

So kids watch a little bit of violence every once in awhile...or every day...or all day every day. Look, the important thing is that they're entertained, am I right? I mean, what's the worst that could happen?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home