Monday, February 20, 2006

"Dead Presidents"

Since I'm in the middle of an all consuming freelance project at the moment (and have yet to bathe today), I'mma tell a quick story and get back to work, well, after I shower.

After breakfast and the required viewing of Sesame Street this morning, Connor and I jumped in the car and headed out to complete a few errands: the dump (HELL YEAH!), the gas station and the bank. The gas station and the dump are both relatively near our house, but the bank is about 20 minutes away on the opposite side of "town." I usually try to piggyback that errand with an errand that will have us on that side of town (Wal-Mart, post office, etc) but today we had nothing else going on.

Oh, well, I thought. We'll put some good music on in the car (read: NO kiddie songs) and have ourselves a cool little road trip.

When I pulled up to the bank, I immediately noticed that the parking lot was empty. Could they be this slow on a Monday? I asked Connor, though once the words left my lips I knew the only answer I would get was, "Cookie please?" Two seconds later, it hit me: President's Day. Crap. That was 40 minutes worth of gas and time that I'll never get back. Oh well. At least we got to go to the dump.

Later, when Connor was starting to stir from his afternoon nap, I decided to take advantage of the last few moments of peace and go check the mail. I put my shoes on, assured Murphy I wasn't going for a walk without him, and hiked the 30-or-so yards out to our mailbox. As soon as I opened the tiny door on the mailbox, I remembered today's holiday and felt like a fool.

Well, moreso than usual.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home