Thursday, December 15, 2005

White Flight

For all my friends NOT in the South who like to continually make jokes about how freaked out people down hurrr' get when there's a threat of inclimate winter weather: WE DON"T GET SNOW; We get ice, and it wreaks havoc with our power lines and roads. Back off.

This morning, I awoke to the sound of silence. For Simon & Garfunkel fans that might be a good thing, but silence in our house means one thing: the power is out, or everybody's dead from carbon monoxide poisoning...wait, is that more than one thing? I told you I'm bad at math.

At about 8:20, I called Stacey's cell phone to see what was up with the power.

Me: Hey, what's up with the weather?
Her: I dunno. I'm sleeping in the next room.

With our power out, Stacey stumbled around downstairs trying desperately to get ready for work with only a dinky flashlight to help conquer the darkness. Once she hopped in the car and tried to get out of our neighborhood, she realized that our exit was blocked by at least one downed tree. So, she did the logical thing and came right back to bed, but didn't want to wake up Connor and me (who were sleeping together since he was up most of the night with a fever).

With our exits blocked, Grammy hauled ass out to our house to rescue us, but not before we found an alternate exit that involved some sketchy off roading that nearly got us stuck in some deep mud. Stacey headed to work (sucker!) while Connor, Murphy and I were chauffered to a warm house with electricity and cable TV. It's gonna be a rough couple o' days, but I think we'll manage.

It's ice storm 2005, baby! Live it up.

1 Comments:

Blogger Steve Davis said...

We'd all leave some comments, but we're too busy trying to dig out of the 1/2 inch of snow we had last week.

4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home