Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Resting in peace

Holey moley, whatta long day.

Yesterday, as I mentioned, Connor and I made the hour-and-ten-minutes drive to the suburbs of Atlanta so that I could spend today working at my very part-time job and he could spend the day playing — but not with me, unfortunately. I got up this morning at 6 a.m. (which is unheard of for me these days, and quite unpleasant, I might add) to get to work by 7. At 3:30, my ears ringing from working in a warehouse that tends to sound like jets are taking off inside it, I headed out at the end of my eight-hour shift, ready to pick Connor up and make the hour-and-ten-minutes drive back home. We got on the road by 4:20, and anyone familiar with Atlanta traffic knows that this time of day usually means the interstates are clogged worse than Chris Farley's arteries. But, we managed to avoid the worst of it, and our car's wheels never came to a complete stop. A small victory, I suppose.

At the end of this very long day, I'm struck by how little I miss working. Having only a few hours to yourself at the end of the day? Bah humbug. That doesn't seem so appealing to me right now, especially since I'm sure I'd feel compelled to spend every free moment with Connor and totally neglect myself...much like the his mother is doing now.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhhh...but wouldn't it be nice to work in a cool environment and write for a living? Don't compare working to the part time job...compare it to working at City. You miss it now right? How about now? You have to miss it because in another year or two I want my job back!

6:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Chris Farley's arteries..." he he, that was funny.

6:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home