Monday, December 19, 2005

Psssst

Read this quick, before Stacey realizes that I'm giving out classified info...

To the poor unmarried souls out there, let me clue you in to one of the secret perks of being married: if you nab a motivated spouse, you'll never have to Christmas shop again.

It is December 19th, and today marked my first trip into a store to purchase a Christmas present this year, and probably only the third time, or so, since I've been married. Having the Internet helps out immensely, but Stacey's desire to check everyone off of our list in a timely fashion (and not with truck-stop quality gifts) has done well to keep me out of the malls on Christmas eve, as I've been known to wait until the last minute on more than one holiday season. It's not that I'm a procrastinator, it's that I hate the mall only slightly less than jabbing pencils into my eyeballs. My first real job was in a fast food restaurant in a fairly large shopping mall, and I was hired during December. Not fun. This has contributed in large part to my aversion to obnoxious and holiday crowds. (That they're obnoxious probably contributes just a tad, as well.) Plus those unsettling holiday movies where everyone is fighting over the last toy in the store make my skin crawl. I hope Connor never sets his sights on the "must-have" toy of the season, 'cause he ain't getting' it from me.

Consider yourself fortunate that I shared this little marriage secret with you. Being married is kind of like being in the military. You really won't learn what it's all about until you join up — and even then, you probably won't figure everything out for a looooong time.

Besides, if I told you any more, I'd have to kill you.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i hate shopping, but not as bad as my future husband...i'm in big trouble i suspect! ;)

10:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is time for a little personal insight (via your wife)...you are a procrastinator but I love you anyway. And don't worry Connor, I'm sure you'll get that "must have" toy. In fact, you might end up with three (one from baba, one from guh guh, and one from me).

8:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home