Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Gray Matters

I suppose spotting the first of what are sure to be many more gray hairs on my head should be a really big deal?

At 29, I've officially earned my stripes as a man. After proving that I can indeed grow a burly mess of a beard this summer, I suppose this was the final frontier. Though I'd thought I noticed a few stray gray hairs in my beard a few months back, I just chalked it up either to bad lighting or poor eyesight. But, since my hair is a reddish mixture of blonde and brown anyway, the lighter hairs aren't as noticeable as they might be were I sporting locks of Spock-black hair.

But, a few weeks ago, when Stacey was cutting my hair, she noticed a few stray grays on my head. I didn't really care, and actually forgot about it until yesterday. I looked in the mirror trying to find them for a few minutes, until I finally saw them, just behind my left ear. "Hmm," I thought. "There they are. Okay...now, what?"

Growing up, I was always convinced I was going to be bald, since everyone I knew who was bald, had a bald grandfather on their mother's side and everyone knows that a man with a bald maternal grandfather is doomed to a follicly challenged adult life. Both of my brothers are dealing with various degrees of hair loss, and I figured it was just a matter of time until mine started retreating as well. God knows I treated my hair poorly enough when I was younger (repeated bleaching/dyeing/stopping after "lather, rinse" and not repeating [gasp!]), and I knew my hair was pissed at me anyway and was ready for any excuse to bolt.

But, have I somehow escaped this fate? Is my hair just beginning its change to autumn a little early?

I guess I'll have to wait a few years to find out, but I do know this: I had no gray hair before Connor was born. But, very shortly after shifting into full-time parent mode, they've begun to sprout. I used to think that the stories about kids making their parents go gray was a silly old wives tale. Now, I'm not so sure.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As my Dad always says...some turn gray and some turn loose. I think you'd look good with either. :)

9:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have been finding more and more gray hairs... and i'm only 26. but then again i've been teaching 100 teenagers for 3 years now. i think kids can give anyone gray hair... not just their parents!

9:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just for the record, firstborn brother has lost more hair than I. But then again, he is like 10 years older than me. How is it that you managed to keep all of yours? Reid even took special trips out of Thomson to get haircuts because no one in Thomson could style that beautiful moss. You remember that?

One day I'm going to embrace the baldness, but until then, I'm balding-guy-with-long-hair. When people start spotting scalp through the long hair, it's all coming off. ( I really prefer the term 'receding', though. Bald sounds so harsh.)

No greys yet though....

11:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Consider this; yesterday I encountered a gentlemen partially bald on top with a mullet. Imagine the possibilities!

5:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! Bros! If you're gonna dis me, at least lemme know you're doing it!

10:08 PM  
Blogger Carter said...

Hey, Reid? We're dissin' you.

10:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carter: nice!

1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home