Tuesday, October 25, 2005

The "A-Ha" Moment

When I was in fifth grade, I decided (perhaps it was decided for me) that I should be in the school band. Trumpets were for suckers (read: my older brother) and drums didn't interest me for some reason. The only instruments left to choose from were flutes, clarinets, trombones and saxaphones. Duh. The Saxamaphone it was.

For the first few months, all we did was sit in a trailer (with the flutes and clarinets) and we'd all play weird little parts of some song I'd never heard of. It was okay, but it wasn't exactly my thing. But, eventually, we were told that we'd start practicing once a week with the rest of the band. At that practice, with the drums keeping time, and everyone playing a different section of the song "Aura Lee," everything made complete sense — albeit a herky-jerky, off-key kind of sense. At the sounding of the very first note, a huge smile erupted on my face and I couldn't have played a note if I wanted to. I was so elated to hear everything, the whole ensemble working in unison, that the frustration from the the months of practice melted away. I actually got in trouble for not playing at that practice, but I didn't really care.

Today, I got to see Connor have what I think was the very same moment. Last week I mentioned that we listen to a lot of Huey Lewis & The News. Connor knows the songs pretty well, but today, we watched a Huey Lewis concert DVD that I got a few weeks ago. The DVD starts with the same song ("Heart of Rock 'n' Roll") as the album Sports that we listen to the most. Connor stared at the screen, glanced at me a few times and then started to smile — a lot. He jumped up and started doing his little head-bob-dance but never lost sight of the TV screen. He "got" it, and I was probably enjoying it more than him.

Since he knows some Lamb of God music, too, maybe tomomrrow we'll watch Killadelphia?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a little girl, his Mama liked Huey Lewis too but she didn't have near the rhythm Connor has shown.

1:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's very likely that the drums also didn't interest your parents.

6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home