Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Job Security

This week marks the beginning of my fourth month as a stay-at-home-dad. According to our original plan (which is subject to change, given our situation next year) I'm one-third (I think...remember, I'm horrendus at math) of the way through with my tour of duty.

So, what have I learned thus far? This "job" kicks ass.

When you see women bitching about how hard it is to be a stay-at-home-parent, know this:the ones who complain about it don't really want to be at home. Don't get me wrong, raising the wee ones is tough work (especially if you're one of those psycho parents who has more than one to keep track of), but we're having a ball, though I suppose I should act like it's the worst job in the world, since Stacey will probably kill me in my sleep so she can cash in the life insurance check and stay home herself. She doesn't really need any encouragement.



Maybe it's because we were blasting the crap out of Licensed to Ill today, or that we found a playground this week that would make the Death Star look small by comparison (yeah, that's it in the photo..."that's no moon!"), but I can't figure out why men are so reticent to stay at home with their kids. If they'd come hang out with us for a few days, I'm sure they'd change their minds.

Beisdes, to me, it makes more sense for the guy to stay home. I've read many accounts of women who, while they love their children and wouldn't mind staying home with them, feel an obligation to enter the workforce. Many ladies burned perfectly good foundation garments for that right. We men have nothing to prove by working. Stay home, dammit.

But, I still have this theory that the women who complain about how hard it is to stay home (again, it is hard work) are part of a plot to cover-up the truth about stay-at-home-parenting: it's fun and they don't want the men to figure it out or they might want to stay home too.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I won't kill you in your sleep. I promise...no really I won't...I swear...Besides our life insurance policies aren't THAT much.

And as a side note...I'm not sure where the obligation comes from. I'm having the opposite problem. I feel guilty for not being at home. BUT, as I've said before leaving him is so much easier knowing he's with you.

6:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home