Wednesday, October 26, 2005

What I Know Fer Sure

Wow, two Oprah-themed titles in a row. One might think that since I've started staying home all day, I've developed a new favorite show. (Actually, the only show I try to watch regularly is The Batman...man, that's been a real productivity killer.)

Oprah may be the queen of daytime television, but she is a horrible interviewer. Case in point: her favorite question to ask people is, "what do you know for sure?"

"Uhhh, the sky is blue, puppies are cute, and you're a nincompoop?
"

Anyway, I realized today that I've picked up a few nuggets of wisdom in the past few months, and I would be downright selfish if I didn't share a few of them. So, here are -ugh- a few things I know, like, for sure. Totally.

-Bathing before bed
When I was in elementary school, I developed a habit of taking a bath at night and sleeping in my clothes so I could spring forth from the bed at a moment's notice and be ready for action (after all, what would Batman do?). This recently revived practice has kept me from being too stinky all day when Connor wakes up before I have time to shower. Notice I said "too stinky," and not "not stinky." I am hanging out with a little kid. I'm bound to smell a little. (And don't act like you don't think you stink a little right now.)

-Cheerios addiction
I know this one isn't exactly a secret, but holy crap are Cheerios a godsend. I don't know what it is, but kids will instantly calm down if you give them a handful of tiny, baked oat circles. I've checked the ingredients...there's no addictive drugs that I can find.

-Copying my bad habits
Again, not exactly a secret, but I had no clue that kids mimicked behavior this early in life. Connor is now swearing (Oh, shit! is a favorite) and spitting quite regularly. I haven't caught him scratching "himself" or picking his nose in the car yet, but I'll be sure to let you know when those little milestones happen.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are just trying to freak out the grandmothers and I know better. But your point is well taken.

11:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To the Grandmothers...he is telling the truth. Although I'd say it sounds more like "Ah, shit." I should go ahead and be blamed for that one...and Grammy knows why. I haven't seen him spit but I've seen him try.

10:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To blame Grammy he would have to utter "triple shits' with machine gun speed. A feat which Connor's mother also learned at an early age. The good news is you can stop with the right motivation. Perhaps a Cheerios bribe is in order for both Dad and Son!

10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home