Friday, August 18, 2006

"Communication Breakdown"


Baby monitors are the best/worst thing to happen to child-rearing since the discovery (probably by my mom) that spatulas make very good ass-whuppers.

On one hand, immediately hearing your child crying in the middle of the night can be helpful, because you can diffuse any huge meltdowns before they spiral out of control, thus keeping everyone awake for several hours.

But, on the other hand, it's probably just a matter of time until you get caught badmouthing someone while forgetting that you're in a room that is 'bugged.'

Unless someone is being too polite to burst my bubble, I haven't been busted yet, but it's not for lack of trying. I've thought on several occasions that I'd muttered something less than flattering with someone unintentionally listening in on a receiver unit that was inadvertantly left on in another room.

But, the baby monitor also carries with it the threat of disseminating too much information.

For example, yesterday morning, I could swear I heard Connor say "ADHD," in his bedroom and then fall back asleep.

I wish I were kidding.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What? break my good spatula?! Not a chance.

8:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss your blog, bro.

4:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home