Monday, July 03, 2006

"At The Movies"

This weekend, Stacey and I took Connor to see his very first movie — Cars. Ever since seeing the previews for the film, Stacey had pegged it as Connor's first movie theater experience. After a few missed opportunities, we finally got to go on Saturday morning, and it was one of the best moments we've had thus far as a family.


He's been dragging around two Matchbox versions of the two main characters for a month, but I don't think he could grasp that his two little cars were going to come to life on the screen. As soon as the movie started though, our normally hyperactive little boy who can't keep his mouth shut for two minutes turned into a comatose, drooling blob of Jell-O on his mama's lap and remained as such for the duration of the film.

Toward the end of the picture, the main character (Lightning McQueen) was speeding around a racetrack showing off. Connor sat up, held his toy version of Lightning up and stared at it, as if he was waiting for the tiny car to start talking to him. (It didn't, for the record.)

The movie ended with a tearjerking song by Brad Paisley, which resulted in Stacey clutching Connor tighter than a million dollar lottery ticket and bawling her brains out.

Connor has been talking about Cars ever since our trip. Stacey mentioned that we probably should have waited to let him see it until it was closer to being released on DVD. To sate him a bit, we watched every trailer Pixar made for the film at least three times on the 'Net today.

I may be making a trip back to the theater with a camcorder hidden under my shirt.

2 Comments:

Blogger Reel Fanatic said...

Great stuff .. I wish I could remember the first move I ever saw, but I'm afraid that's a distant memory

6:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For the record, I was crying before I listened to the song because Connor's first movie was over. Later I heard the song and cried again. Darn that Brad Paisley...he makes me like country.

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home