Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Who's yo daddy?

After nearly two months of staying at home with my son, I still can’t decide what kind of stay-at-home dad I’m going to be. There are so many different types to choose from. There’s the do-it-all Suzie homemaker dad who handles everything (cooking/cleaning/grocery shopping/yard work/substance abuse) around the house, and there is, of course, the lazy-ass I-can-call-myself-a-dad-because-I-made-a-baby dad who does little but change dirty diapers. And there’s me…somewhere in the middle, though which of these two sides I lean more towards I’ll never tell.

There’s part of me that’s energized by handling everything Connor needs. After all, most of this stuff I did before anyway — laundry, cleaning, basic housework, etc. (I’ll never be the house cook, though. My wife is Italian for cryin’ out loud.) But, there’s also part of me that’s a little hesitant to jump headfirst into this whole mess. Though I’m far from being the stumbling idiot, there’s still some stuff I’ve yet to master, but I kind of enjoy treading the line between comfort and unease. Besides, when people see me in public with Connor I get plenty of uneasiness to go around.

But, I will say this about my parenting thus far: Connor is 16 months old. When we sit him on the toilet, he’ll pee on command, and he announces when he has to go to the bathroom. How many parents can say that?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are the perfect Daddy. Connor is a lucky boy and I'm a lucky lady. I was especially lucky when you washed the dishes last night. :)

10:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I certainly can't. Would you consider opening up a potty training boarding school?

8:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home