Monday, August 29, 2005

"Oh, the places you'll [not] go"

As I mentioned in my previous post, I spent this past weekend in Atlanta. Even though I was returning back to the place where I've spent more time in my life than any other, there was still a little bit of culture shock to deal with — and I'm not ashamed to say I was driving around with lust in my eyes the entire time.

After searching for playgrounds near our house out here in countrytown and finding exactly two (thus far) that we can use on a regular basis (ie. not at a school or daycare) I was extremely envious of the multitude of playgrounds that I drove past while back in Georgia. There are parks all over the place, playgrounds in most neighborhoods and a huge park just across the street from my mom's neighborhood. My biggest gripe about living out here is definitely the lack of recreation for Connor, though we did go to a nearby beach and swim in the lake today, which was nice, especially considering that most of you working stiffs were probably punching the clock at that time.

While we're at it, gripe number two would have to be the overabundance of scary, reclusive white people. I think it was Chris Rock who said that nothing terrifies him more than a carload of white folks. I couldn't agree more. Maybe it's the "no tresspassing" signs plastered on the "driveways" of nearly every trailer on our street, or the many abandoned mobile homes (which have long since forfeited their claim to the term "mobile"), the scary-as-hell burned out school bus down in the woods, that I've not seen any representation of law enforcement anywhere in town since we moved here, or that everyone stares and no one waves. It's damn creepy. The last time I was this scared of white people was when I inadvertantly drove past a Klan rally deep in the woods of in Chapin, South Carolina while lost with some friends — and I'm WHITE. It's not an experience that I wish to repeat, though I wouldn't be surprised if I managed to repeat the events of that unforgettable evening out here. I have an odd feeling that we've either stumbled into Militiatown or MethlabvilleWelcome to the neighborhood!


As a side note, I hope none of you have family or friends in New Orleans right now. It's looking pretty rough. (Allyson and Karl, we're thinking about you. Please call us as soon as you can!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home