Thursday, August 25, 2005

Connor's CD reviews, part one

I did a very difficult thing this week; I cleared space on my iPod for some emergency, in-the-car, baby-soothing kiddie tunes.

Whew, give me a moment...

I fought it for awhile, but since we are living about fifteen-plus minutes from anything, Connor's love/hate relationship with riding in the car is becoming problematic. Sometimes, he's digging the ride, pointing out every single car that we pass and smiling at me in the rear view mirror, and sometimes he's throwing as many things at the back of my head that he can get his hands on. I haven't had to use this secret weapon yet, but it's best to be prepared, don't you think?

Since most kiddie tunes are barely tolerable — especially to someone who knows what music actually is — I've been fighting it. I read somewhere that a couple who felt similarly used Beatles songs and their kids responded beautifully. No such luck, though Connor does like "Maxwell's Silver Hammer," but probably only because his mom pretends to bang him on the head (it's part of the song.) The point is that I hate listening to kiddie music and I'm sure that there are other parents equally desperate.

In my quest to find SOMETHING that Connor will listen to, I've found a few gems...and germs, but that's a different story. Uh, at any rate, I think we've got a burgeoning music critic on our hands, because he'll immediately let you know whether he likes what he's listening to or not.

Today, we listened to Prodigy's, "The Fat of the Land." Guess what? He digs it — a lot. Apparently, this kid is into abrasive, rock-inspired techno music with slightly disturbing lyrics. "Smack my bitch up?" Sure thing, daddy.

See, there you go, parents. You don't have to listen to those annoying brats singing about some lady "comin' 'round the mountain," when you can listen to Prodigy sing about starting fires. Cool, huh?

What kid wouldn't like this?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ralph's World is quite tolerable - and Ellen loved "We are Ants" when she was Connor's age. Reid can send you the link for the video to it so Connor can watch it online. Not while you're driving though. And you know, the DragonTales stuff isn't so bad, when you consider that Jesse Harris has a songwriting credit for the theme song. And the fact that we can listen to it over and over again and it doesn't make me lose my lunch.

8:34 AM  
Blogger Godric of Finchale said...

I have lots of rather tolerable kids' music available for you if you want to ping me via IM. There are some other artists -- not "kids" artists -- that kids seem to dig. To wit: Ozomatli, The Polyphonic Spree and the Flaming Lips. Jurassic 5 is also a good choice.

12:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ARRRGHH!!!!!!!

6:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I fear the day when I will share your experiences, although I'm sure they're coming fast.

Our little rugrat's seemingly endless energy and motion can usually be (at least temporarily) abated by streaming Death Cab for Cutie, Antibalas Afrobeat Orchestra, Boxharp, etc. and viewing the Windows Media player visualizations full screen. Sort of like a Pink Floyd show for a 9 month old, minus the drugs and such...

The only band he hasn't taken to is Danielson Famile. Didn't take...

6:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carter, Hannah seems to like the hiphop. That could be because I happened to have Justin Timberlake (we all have our guilty pleasures)playing in the car when I was in labor and when we took her home. She still loves that CD. Monday we drove to Tuscaloosa listening to the Beastie Boys and she liked it so much she made her kitty blanket dance to it. She is fond of a lot of stuff Kevin likes...and she claps along to Weezer's "Beverly Hills" whenever it's on. Brian Wilson's Smile was a good one for her too. She wasn't too keen on the Beatles either, though.

10:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home