Monday, May 08, 2006

"Working for the Weekend"

I work hard all week. I go to the grocery store. I wash the dishes (mostly). I spray Tilex in the shower every day. I do my little dance on the catwalk. But, when the weekend comes, I like to "clock out" and indulge myself. This is a self-prescribed regimen that has been enabled by Stacey's tenacious defense of her weekend time with Connor. Since she won't give him up anyway, I find other ways to occupy myself.

This weekend, my closely guarded routine was disrupted. On Saturday night, Stacey's stomach turned into a powder keg — well, a gooey, spasming mess of a powder keg. While I slept peacefully, she spent a great portion of the night in the bathroom, vomiting and dry heaving until her stomach was so sore that I couldn't even look at her without it hurting. I'll bet she's pissed that I went into so much detail, too.

On Sunday morning, I woke up to the sounds of "Daddy's coming." Wondering why Stacey wasn't in the bedroom and the baby monitor was, I went looking for an explanation, finding Stacey huddled up on the bed downstairs. Without asking, I already knew she was sick. We think she might have some form of the same Rotavirus that blindsided Connor nearly two months ago. (By the way, I spared some of you outspoken wusses the projectile vomiting pictures, and I found some GOOD ones online, too.)

So, she camped out in our bedroom upstairs, while Connor and I played downstairs until about lunchtime, oblivious to her presence in the house. I think he figured that his weekend had been cut short, too, and he didn't pitch too much of a fit at being stuck with just me again. His mama eventually emerged from her cocoon, parked herself in the recliner and was basically limp for the remainder of the day, cursing under her breath that she was missing out on some of her own preciously guarded weekend time.

But, even though I didn't spent the entire weekend being a miscreant, playing PS2 or my guitar, or loafing around the house like usual, I still enjoyed my weekend. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for my wife.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are fortunate that your wife isn't into retaliation. Come to think of it, you may have pushed her too far...

9:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

More details = more sympathy for me. Bring it on.

8:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the outspoken one thanks you.

3:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home