Monday, May 22, 2006

"Too Much Month (At The End Of The Money)"

First it was the student loan debt. Next it was scaling back from two incomes to one. Then it was the coma-inducing hospital bill. Oh, and don't forget the nasty heroin habit. There's also the ever growing price of gas and the distance between us and anything resembling civilization. Last week Stacey got a speeding ticket. Today, a flat tire.

I'm sure I've left something out, but at this point, does it matter?

I won't go so far as to say that we're broke, because we do have some reserves from which we can draw emergency funds. We also have items that we can sell including blood plasma, spare organs (and not the kind you play in church, either) and two-year-old boys to keep us afloat, Of course we also have a host of family members who are nothing if not selfless in their generosity, but we're not exactly operating in the black right now.

To try and offset things a bit, Stacey has found a new hobby: clipping coupons. I secretly (well, not anymore, I guess) think that this is another attempt to prove that she's the smartest, most hardworkin'est member of this partnership (which, let's be obvious, I surrendured any claim to looooong ago). After buying the requisite supplies, which include a how-to book, a binder full of baseball card holders for organizing the coupons and cultivating a working knowledge of price comparison, she's set out to reinvent how we buy groceries.

I'm not asking too many questions but I can say this: we now have better food in our pantry (name brands, even!!) and we're somehow spending less, although I haven't seen the receipts.

Wait, maybe she has another new hobby she hasn't told me about yet. That would explain all those new fancy pairs of underwear she bought.

This post would probably explain why I'll be sleeping on the couch tomorrow night.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh come on...when have you ever had to sleep on the couch. And I don't have any coupons for fancy underwear.

6:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You don't have any coupons for fancy free underwear? I just picked up my coupon redeemed twice a year free Victoria Secret panties last weekend! We should talk. (Stacey, I mean).

6:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think my husband just called me cheap. guess he'll be sleeping on the couch!

6:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stacey - Check out The Tightwad Gazette from your library. She's got tons of thrifty ideas from years of being a one income family with, I think, 6 kids.

7:11 PM  
Blogger Bonny Babe said...

...like wrapping penny's in tin foil to pass them off as dimes and throwing two on the counter while running out of the 7-11 with one pack of Top Ramen while waving to the clerk -

Oh wait... that was college.

1:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home