Monday, January 16, 2006

Moron #1: "How's the weather up there?"

Connor is gonna be a tall dude when he grows up. Whenever I'm out with him, hardly anyone ever correctly guesses his age (currently holding at 20 months), due to his height and slightly accelerated verbal skills. (If he continues to learn at his current pace, I probably wouldn't even be able to help him with his homework by the time he's in second grade.)

For a lady, Stacey is tall (she professes a height of 5' 12"), and I'm somewhere in the neighborhood of 6' 2". Her parents are both tall folks and my dad was taller than I am, so it's a safe bet that Connor will crack the six-foot plateau by the time he's thirteen.

As far as physical traits go (after being able to grow a moustache in seventh grade), being tall seems to be at the top of everyone's list. But, as a tallish guy, let me caution those of you concerned with gaining a little more height. Sure, it's nice not to need a chair to adjust the shower nozzle, but buying clothes can be a bit frustrating.

For Christmas, Stacey bought me a couple of hooded sweatshirts since, of the two I already had, one fit horribly and the other was at least ten years old. Keeping in mind my specific clothing requirements, she bought me two large-tall sweatshirts. One fit perfectly. The cuffs fell just below my wrist and the body didn't fit like a parachute. The other sweatshirt, however, (the same size, mind you) was all out of whack, so I returned it and ordered a replacement. When the replacement arrived (again, a large-tall) it still didn't fit right. So, I returned that one, as well. Instead of ordering another large-tall, I decided to just bite the bullet and order a large-extra tall, costing me an extra $8.

(I'm pretty sure a batch of "large" sweatshirts got mislabeled as "large-tall" at the factory, though the merchant's customer service reps I spoke with on the phone thought this scenario was impossible. "Maybe black runs small," I was told. Yeah right, the same exact sweatshirt, cut from the SAME FABRIC, is sized differently.)

When I win the lottery (that I've never played in my life) the first thing I'm going to do is hire a personal tailor.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just for the record...it is kind of rough being an 11ish female who is much taller than all the boys. Probably why I still deny the fact that I am *almost* 6 feet.

1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home